Acne Treatment in Jacksonville
Expert Guidance & Acne Treatment Options
Acne treatments in Jacksonville and across the country are one of the most common reasons people look for expert dermatologists. There is no skin condition that is more common, and it affects the appearance of millions of faces every year. Acne can present as whiteheads, blackheads, red pustules or deeper cysts. Scarring from acne is extremely common, even if the blemish is not scratched or picked at.
Causes of Acne
Acne is caused when sebum, an oily substance that is produced by the sebaceous glands, plugs the pores of your skin. If sebum cannot escape and be distributed onto the surface of the skin, it gets trapped causing an inflammatory response resulting in acne.
There are several treatment options available for acne. Our providers will explain your options and why our recommendation would work best for you.
Effective Acne Treatments
- Benzoyl Peroxide — Used in mild cases of acne, benzoyl peroxide reduces the blockages in the follicles and reduces inflammation in the skin.
- Oral and Topical Antibiotics — Helps reduce P. acnes, a common bacteria causing acne, and helps reduce inflammation.
- Hormonal Treatments — Can be used for adult women with hormonally induced acne which commonly affects the lower face and jawline.
- Tretinoin — A derivative of Vitamin A, tretinoin helps unplug follicles and promotes rapid skin cell turnover to promote quicker healing of pimples that do develop. It has become a mainstay in the treatment of acne.
- Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) – Shrinks the sebaceous glands and destroys the bacteria that can cause acne.
- Extraction — Removal of whiteheads and blackheads using a small metal instrument that is centered on the comedone and pushed down, extruding the blocked pore.